Tuesday, June 14, 2011

seriously...how do they do that?

On my trips to Africa I would see people carry things on their head much more than I see here in Jamaica, but you still see it, especially in the rural areas. Mandeville is not considered rural but even here in town you will see people with their heavy load.

It is interesting that you don't see the young or middle-age but always the older citizens with their head load....seriously how can they do that?

Yes I know about the cap that makes it easier but I have seen many people without the cap, how does their neck handle it? How do their shoulders feel? How does their back stay up straight?

I think this will always amaze me.




This makes me think of the scripture in Galatians, "Bear ye one another's burdens and so fulfil the law of Christ." I wrote a sermon one time, making the difference between a burden and a load. The Greek word for "bear" is baztazo. It means to "to hold" or even to physically embrace. How can I physically embrace someone's burdens?

There is also a difference between burden and load. The load is the everyday stuff we all have to handle, like paying bills, feeling lonely, bad weather, the things everyone endures.

However a burden is different. Burdens are those unexpected things that get added to the everyday load. Like a tragic accident, loss of a job, death in the family, the things that come along suddenly and very unexpectedly.

Well, the sermon gives some how to's, but suffice it to say, whenever I see someone carrying their load I think of Galatians 6:2 and wonder how I am doing with carrying my own load and the burdens of others. Just a little something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment