Saturday, February 14, 2009

What's it all about Alfie?

Dionne Warwick has always been my favorite singer, love her voice. A long time ago, long before I had much life experience she sang a song written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach, What's it all about Alfie? Is it just for the moment we live?

The older I get, the more I question myself. Questions like:
Why do I do what I do?
Is this project worth my energy?
Who really cares if I do it or not?
Why am I pouring my life into something that seems so insignificant?
How am I really doing anyway?
Why do I care?

You know, contemplative questions that I never thought of when I was younger! Questions that really can't be answered because there is no forum to voice them and if there was an avenue they wouldn't sound sophisticated enough!

The basic tone of the song, "What's it all about Alfie" has to do with this all consuming need for love. Does this love just exist for the moment we live or is there more to it?

Being in Jamaica has brought me to question my purpose, my ministry, my reason for doing what I do. I have come to the conclusion that indeed it is for love. Love for Christ, love for hurting and non hurting people, love for the Bible College students like Nicholas pictured above, love for myself.

Love has so many layers. But for today I think I will just love simply. I will love unconditionally. I will love and try not to expect anything in return, boy that's tough, but I will try!

Happy Valentine's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment