Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hungry?

Something I love about living in another country is learning the differences in speech. What we call one thing in America is called another thing in Jamaica. What we call one thing in Costa Rica in Spanish is another thing in Spain.

At Renee's school and at the A/G College a snack bar is called a tuck shop. Another term is a cook shop. One time I had to drive to Montego Bay to do an airport pick-up so I took a student with me for safety and he said "on the way can we stop at my auntie's cook shop?" I was expecting a restaurant with seats. I didn't envision something big but rather a place for customers.

Coming upon a little community, he said, there it is. Stop right here. Stop right here? Whatever is he looking at? It was just a little stop off the road and if you blinked you would miss it. Certainly not a place to sit and chat, but rather a take out kind of counter.

There is a construction project going on right here next to us. I love their little "tuck shop"! A little lady comes up the road around 10:00 in the morning and sets up shop. Many of the workers are transient workers. They see a project going on, ask for the supervisor and ask to be employed at least for the day. So this little lady decided to get in on the "groundfloor"!





Soup anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment